My favorite drink in all the land is a spicy cucumber margarita and no one, I mean NO ONE, makes it like Más Malo in DTLA. Trust me, I’ve spent enough time tasting spicy cucumber margaritas over the past 7 years trying to find one that compares. Final conclusion: not out there.
Chris and I have been monkeying around in the bar for a couple days trying to see how close we can get to the Malo margarita. I think this recipe is pretty dang close: a little sweet, a little spicy, a little burn. Granted, it’s not like when you’re actually IN Más Malo eating their chips and hot-as-hell unparalleled habanero salsa alongside that spicy cucumber marg, but at least you’ll get a good idea. So here goes:
Spicy Cucumber Margarita
-5 cucumber slices
-1 and 1/4 ounce tequila of your choice (we tried with a silver and an añejo – both were good)
-3/4 ounce agave
-1 ounce fresh lime juice
-1 dash bitters
-2 dash Tapatio
For the salt rim:
-coarse kosher salt
1. In small bowl that can fit the rim of a cocktail glass mix 6T coarse kosher salt, 1T cayenne pepper and 1T paprika (the idea is you want a reddish orange spicy salt to rim the glass). Set aside.
2. In a cocktail shaker muddle cucumber slices until they are in small pieces.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except lime wedge, salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and arbol chile).
4. Add enough ice to fill your cocktail shaker about three quarters of the way and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
5. Take the lime wedge, slice in middle and rim the glass.
6. Salt the rim in the spicy salt mix.
7. Pour margarita into the salted glass.
8. Garnish with a dried arbol chile.
I hope you enjoy every last drop. A few times.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I’m one of those super lame-os who only likes frozen margaritas, because if I’m going to trick myself into drinking something strong, it’d better basically be a Sno-Cone. That said? This is way too pretty to pass up.
In other news, you’re too darling. Love the step-by-steps.
Josie, I also am a lame-o who usually only likes frozen margaritas. Only recently did I discover I love Don Julios and also this one. If you ever come here, I will make you a believer. Or I guess a convert. 🙂
This sounds really good…except I don’t really drink. Any thoughts on a non-alcoholic version? Would you substitute something for the tequila or just leave it out?
Hey Jen, I asked Chris and he said to try eliminating the tequila and topping off with soda water instead. I hope you like it! Once this Whole30 is over I’ll try it and let you know what I think, too.
You better believe I will be trying this immediately after baby is born! Less than a month! (Slightly missing my cocktails) xoxo
Nadia. I cannot believe you only have a month to go. That’s nuts! Cocktails are on your horizon, mama 🙂
Perfection. I was so inspired by your teaser video that I jumped the gun and DIY’ed my own (oops) but I’m so looking forward to trying the real deal Cali-tested and Carrie-approved version here!
What I saw on IG looked pretty good! I’d try it. Haha! #tequila
Yay!! Happy Cinco de Mayo, thanks for sharing…
Let me know if you want just a straight margarita recipe. Happy to send it to you!